Head of Public Affairs, UK
London, England, United Kingdom
Weber Shandwick is looking for a UK Head of Public Affairs who wants to be part of the Corporate Enterprise practice. The practice is made up of a smart, dedicated and fun team with expertise spanning B2B, Corporate, Public Affairs, Crisis/Issues, Technology, Social Impact/ESG and Technology.
The role is a UK role and will have oversight of public affairs specialist teams based in London, Manchester and Scotland.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced practitioner who is curious, ambitious and proactive. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing senior public affairs counsel to well-known organisations, proactively pursuing new business and developing a strategic roadmap for the growth and development of the public affairs specialism at Weber Shandwick.
What will you be doing?
Client counsel and management
- Be the most senior lead on public affairs accounts in the portfolio, providing on-going high-level strategic counsel and insights to senior executives
- Leading on client training programmes, working directly with senior executives at organisations to provide them with the skills and knowledge to understand the political landscape
- Act as a business connector, facilitating opportunities for growth across the Weber Shandwick network and portfolio and within the public affairs specialism
- Demonstrating proficiency in understanding communications and business goals, and the ability to link team efforts to these in order to demonstrate value and impact for clients
- Working effectively with finance colleagues to be fully responsible for client budgets and resource management, including forecasting, hours allocation for team members, project and plan budgeting, managing servicing levels
- Oversee UK public affairs client portfolio, including identifying potential leads and areas of growth
New business development and growth
- Lead on the development of new business pitches, including oversight of responses and pitches within the UK
- Nurturing of key connections to identify new business opportunities
- Relationship-building across Weber Shandwick global network and relevant IPG brands to promote UK public affairs offer
- Identification and securing of organic growth opportunities for PA work within Weber Shandwick UK client network
UK Public Affairs specialism & team development
- Creation of strategic roadmap for public affairs offer in UK, including identified opportunities for expansion
- Collaboration with other specialisms e.g. issues management to develop appealing service offers
- Management of the public affairs team (15-20 people), including responsibility for the recruitment and development of exceptional talent. Experience of setting out talent strategies including areas such as team structuring and performance management required.
- Development and oversight of public affairs marketing and intelligence materials to help support growth plan and wider Weber Shandwick clients
- Identification of external opportunities for promoting the public affairs specialism e.g. developing relationships with relevant organisations, bringing new perspectives into the team / for clients
- Oversight of the public affairs specialism’s financial revenue and target, reporting into the commercial lead for the Corporate Enterprise offer. Experience of team budget management a requirement.
- Forming part of the Corporate Enterprise Senior Leadership Team (SLT) in the growth and management of the practice, including in the areas of marketing, recruitment, culture, finances, new and organic business
Who are you?
- Ideally a minimum of ten years’ experience in public affairs
- Demonstrable experience of growing and developing a public affairs specialism, including financial oversight of a large revenue portfolio
- A proven ability to manage large teams (15-20), especially identifying and nurturing high performing talent
- An interest in UK politics and its implications for organisations– in fact, an interest in the world full stop. The Corporate Enterprise team is an incredibly curious one, with interests spanning tech, sustainability, education, politics and more. We use this to bring fresh perspective, helping tell client stories through the lens of so many other industries
- Demonstrate proficiency in policy communications campaigns and an ability to develop integrated campaign connecting in partnership with other specialisms within the Weber Shandwick Collective e.g. media relations, social media
- Experience of a range industries such as FMCG, food & drink, industrial, energy, professional services, property, manufacturing
- Experience of working across the UK for clients (knowledge of Westminster and devolved governments critical)
- Experience of developing client relationships, driving profitable growth and opportunities and providing strategic counsel
- A comprehensive roster of political contacts and / or connections to garner political intelligence on behalf of clients
- Strong presentation skills and experience of leading and winning new business pitches
- Experience being part of a senior leadership team and/or leading a practice
- Attentive to detail and quality
- Fluency in Microsoft programs and digital/social media platforms, tools and solutions
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Ambitious with an entrepreneurial streak
- Private medical insurance
- Group life assurance
- Group income protection
- Personal pension plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Buy or sell holiday
- Additional life assurance cover
- Critical illness insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Dental insurance
- Travel insurance
- Health screening
- Gym discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Health cash plan
- Flexible working with our 3:2 hybrid work model
- 4pm Friday finish
- Equivalent of $250 USD for new joiners on 6 month + contract to support home working setup
- 25 days’ annual leave (in addition to public holidays) plus 2 volunteering days, birthday day off work and Christmas period off
- Flexible public holidays (from 2023)
- Sweets and snacks in the office
- Exclusive shopping discounts and perks
- Headspace membership
- Annual eyecare voucher
- Season ticket loan
- Referral bonus scheme
- Long service bonus
- Enhanced family leave
- Inclusive and invisible health policies
Note from the Talent Team:
We appreciate the time take to apply for the role and your recent interest in Weber Shandwick. We will review all applications within five working days and be in touch with those who have been shortlisted to the next stage.
Unfortunately, due to volume we are not able to get back to everyone individually so if you have not heard back from us unfortunately you have not been successful on this occasion and wish you all the best in your search.
At IPG DXTRA we are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.
Other opportunities at Weber Shandwick
Interested in careers at Weber Shandwick but didn’t see a job listed that is right for you? Click the associated link based on your location to submit an application to our Canada, China, Hong Kong, United States and United Kingdom offices. For other locations, please check back as we continue to add new opportunities.