Freelance Vice President
San Francisco, California, United States
Weber Shandwick is looking for a Freelance Vice President, Media Relations to join our consumer team.
When Weber Shandwick was formed we set out a mission that, by design, has no end date. We committed to be “engaging always.” We knew then, and more so now, that being open, aspirational and entrepreneurial is what it takes to engage people and deliver business impact in a rapidly changing environment.
Our journey to date might surprise you. From a powerful PR base, we’ve built-in one of the world’s largest, global social agencies. Then we added Mediaco, a pioneering, award-winning content consulting and publishing operation. And today, we continue to lead digital and advertising assignments for some of the world's most enduring companies and social causes.
Along the way, we’ve been validated repeatedly by Ad Age’s “A List,” creative leadership at Cannes Lions and global frontrunner status in the PR category. Yet despite our industry-leading status among marketing services agencies, we're still just getting started. We strive to bring our collective intelligence, open architecture model and continuous learning to our work, not to mention agility required to deliver it.
We’re strategists, builders, analysts, producers, designers, creatives, technologists. And we unite around big ideas.
So “engaging always.” is really about innovative change. And that's what we continue do every day, adding new dimensions and diverse talent to our mix across our network of more than 81 countries around the world.
We Are Seeking
We are seeking a strong Vice President to join our Media Relations team within our Consumer and Consumer Tech Practice – working on large tech client (recent global win). You love the thrill of the pitch, building relationships with media, and constantly immersing yourself in pop culture/trends. And ideally you geek out on technology and enjoy large B2B clients!
What You Will Be Doing
- Crafting and telling compelling stories
- Building and maintaining excellent relationships with national and regional technology reporters
- Counseling junior members of the team to effectively work with the media
- Allocating agency resources in accordance with our client's budget
- Bringing a client-focused attitude that results in work being performed to the highest quality standards
- Proven aptitude to solve problems, handle crises, and make quick decisions with incomplete information
- Exceptional client service record with ability to counsel and interact effectively with senior management at client organizations
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to craft strategy for new business presentations
What We’re Looking For
- Senior technology media strategist with a minimum of 8-10+ years of experience and a background in mobile, consumer, entertainment, consumer technology
- Experience in other verticals such as finance and corporate is a bonus but not required
- BA or BS in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related field
- Client interaction, media relations and product knowledge
- Working in and/or with large, marketing-oriented companies
- Effective team supervision and leadership
- Excellent communication/presentation skills; verbal and written
- Several close relationships with top-tier consumer and technology media at the national level and a history of successful placements.
- Management of earned media campaigns including thought leadership, product launches, business campaigns (M&A, etc.)
- Ability to counsel senior clients and their executives with flawless earned media strategy
- Ability to media train senior clients
- Can integrate earned media strategy seamlessly with digital, social and paid
Weber Shandwick is a leading global marketing and communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world.
We push beyond category convention, pairing data-driven insights with creative prowess to deliver game-changing ideas that earn attention and drive business impact. We have a deep bench of talent across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications.
Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s A-List in 2020 and Best Places to Work in 2019. The firm earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.
Other opportunities at Weber Shandwick
Interested in careers at Weber Shandwick but didn’t see a job listed that is right for you? Click the associated link based on your location to submit an application to our Canada, China, Hong Kong, United States and United Kingdom offices. For other locations, please check back as we continue to add new opportunities.