Freelance Associate Creative Director, Copy
Detroit, Michigan, United States
We’re looking for a Freelance Associate Creative Director with a background in copy direction who will manage a large automotive brand. We’re seeking someone who is a highly conceptual problem solver, an articulate presenter of ideas, a builder of strong client relationships, and a storyteller who will convey our clients’ messaging in new and ground-breaking ways. You’ll have the chance to join a team that creates award-winning work for national and global brands across social, traditional, and earned media.
You’ll be someone who values mentoring and managing teams of junior creatives, leading by example, with a keen eye for organization and detail. You’ll motivate the team and keep them focused on the task at hand – but you’ll still love getting your hands dirty managing the creative process and work alongside them. You will work closely with project management, production, and account teams to help keep the work running smoothly.
- Generate creative solutions across all existing and emerging platforms including: product launches, digital advertising, social campaigns, PR stunts, online videos, TV ads, radio ads and a wide variety of brand touch-points
- Cultivate an inclusive culture within the team that values trust, honest and team accountability towards defined goals and results
- Execute work in a variety of conceptual disciplines (writing, pitching, brainstorming) while demonstrating comprehension of executional ones (graphic design, digital, social, and video)
- Push creative boundaries and propose brave ideas
- Manage the overall quality of the creative concept and its execution on assigned programs
- In partnership with the Creative Director/Executive Creative Director, continually lead projects to innovate the process, the ideas, and the strategies to grow accounts
- Find solutions that will have a business impact on clients as well as a cultural impact on consumers
- Communicate and be a storyteller for your team’s conceptual and directional choices
- With the Creative Director/Executive Creative Director, drive the collaborative efforts of the project's creative team
- Continually develop practices and processes to lead, inspire, innovate, and harness new ways of thinking
- A strong portfolio of work
- Values teamwork, inclusivity, honesty, trust and team accountability
- 7 to 10 years’ experience as a creator, managing projects as a part of a team
- A love for great writing, but an eye for art and design a plus.
- A real grasp of what makes for compelling work – whether on social platforms, in video, or in big earned media activations and ideas that get talked about, reported on, and pointed to by other agencies with an “I wish we’d done that” envy
- The ability to concept across a broad range of media, in a variety of tones and voices
- Solid knowledge of the marketing industry at large; an ability and a desire to adapt to the changing landscape of technology
- Proven leadership skills managing multiple projects/tasks/teams of varying complexities, meeting deadlines, and working well under pressure
- Video production experience – whether for online video, TV, etc. – and the ability to storyboard and art direct concise scripts accordingly
- An authentic attitude geared towards positive, solutions-focused action that always comes from a place of respect and inclusion
- Exceptional internal and external communication skills, someone who can present and uphold their work clearly and confidently
- Experience with social media platforms and a working knowledge of their best practices
- An interest in staying on top of emerging platforms, mobile design, & development trends
NOTE: If you are selected for an interview, please come prepared to discuss and showcase your writing skills, and walk through your conceptual/strategic creative approach to assignments (show us how your brain works). Use whatever work or case studies necessary to best represent these areas of expertise.
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications and marketing services firm in 78 cities with a network extending to 128 cities around the world. The firm’s diverse team of strategists, analysts, producers, designers, developers and campaign activators has won the most prestigious awards in the world for innovative, creative approaches and impactful work. Weber Shandwick was the only public relations agency included on the Advertising Age Agency A-list in 2014 and 2015 and the only PR firm designated an A-List Agency Standout in 2017 and 2018. Weber Shandwick was honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, The Holmes Report’s Global Agency of the Year in 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2017, and The Holmes Report’s Global Digital Agency of the Year in 2016. The firm deploys deep expertise across sectors and specialty areas, including consumer marketing, corporate reputation, healthcare, technology, public affairs, financial services, employee engagement, social impact, financial communications and crisis management, using proprietary social, digital and analytics methodologies. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com
Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to start date, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.
Other opportunities at Weber Shandwick
Interested in careers at Weber Shandwick but didn’t see a job listed that is right for you? Click the associated link based on your location to submit an application to our Canada, China, Hong Kong, United States and United Kingdom offices. For other locations, please check back as we continue to add new opportunities.