Manager, Tech Media Relations
New York, New York, United States
Weber Shandwick is looking for a Manager, Media Relations to join our passionate, fun, and driven team focused on supporting tech clients.
We are seeking a Manager who has a strong interest in media-related work with a foundation of media relations skills pitching tech, top-tier, consumer and vertical press. The ideal candidate is someone who has some previous project and team management experience, loves the thrill of the pitch, can help manage the clients and teams, brings existing media relationships and is interested in building more, familiarity with current events in the media, and constantly seeking opportunities to leverage cultural engagement.
This candidate also ideally has experience with B2B tech storytelling, and specifically cybersecurity PR, with an understanding of the media landscape, how security reporters work, and what it takes to get mindshare in this busy space.
What You Will Be Doing
- Provide day-to-day leadership and client engagement
- Oversee other team member’s media work, to foster excellence and success
- Support and assist team members with client-related projects
- Source earned media results on behalf of the client – this includes identifying appropriate contacts, writing pitches, drafting media lists, making follow up calls, etc.
- Develop a strong understanding of the client’s business and target audience
- Stay current on new and existing media coverage
- Assist with ongoing reporting, research and monitoring projects for the client
- Monitor media outlets to understand industry issues that directly and indirectly affect the client
- Analyze and distill meaningful insights from media coverage
- Support creative ideation on a consistent basis and provide thoughtful recommendations
- Assist with drafting and managing media projects
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Strong research skills stemming from a media focused curiosity
- Ability to build trust and rapport with the client and team across all levels
- Demonstrate a proactive and forward thinking mindset
- Integrated skill set that combines media relations, content creation and digital expertise
- Excellent collaboration and team building skills
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple jobs in a day
- Intuitive thinker who asks probing questions and anticipates and addresses needs
- Sound business and professional ethics
- Years Experience: 4-6 years of experience in similar industry
- Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications and engagement firm in 78 cities with a network extending to 129 cities around the world. The firm’s diverse team of strategists, analysts, producers, designers, developers and campaign activators has won the most prestigious awards in the world for innovative, creative approaches and impactful work. Weber Shandwick was the only public relations agency included on the Advertising Age Agency A-list in 2014 and 2015 and the only PR firm designated an A-List Agency Standout in 2017 and 2018. Weber Shandwick was honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016 and 2017, The Holmes Report’s Global Agency of the Year in 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2017, and The Holmes Report’s Global Digital Agency of the Year in 2016. The firm deploys deep expertise across sectors and specialty areas, including consumer marketing, corporate reputation, healthcare, technology, public affairs, financial services, employee engagement, social impact, financial communications and crisis management, using proprietary social, digital and analytics methodologies. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com.
The Weber Shandwick Collective recognizes that your health and wellbeing are a priority. This is why we offer a full suite of benefits including:
- 401k (with employer match)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Juice Money – $60 monthly reimbursement to be used towards purchases that nourish your health, mind, body, and soul
- MyDays – Flexible holiday schedules
- Short-Term Disability
- Paid Employee Family Leave
- Family Building Benefit
Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to start date, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.
Other opportunities at Weber Shandwick
Interested in careers at Weber Shandwick but didn’t see a job listed that is right for you? Click the associated link based on your location to submit an application to our Canada, China, Hong Kong, United States and United Kingdom offices. For other locations, please check back as we continue to add new opportunities.