Senior Manager, Corporate Issues/Crisis Communications
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Senior Manager, Corporate Issues/Crisis Communications
We are seeking a dynamic and motivated Senior Manager, Corporate Issues/Crisis to join our Corporate Affairs practice in Chicago. Ideal candidates have experience managing issues and crisis communication responses in an agency or in-house role, and are motivated, proactive team players. This position is responsible for being the day-to-day client contact managing issues and crisis teams for multiple Consumer and Corporate accounts in the Chicago office.
What You Will Be Doing
- Effectively lead project teams in the day-to-day function of protecting clients’ organizational and brand reputations.
- Develop real-time assessments and points of view on when and how to respond to an emerging issue or crisis
- Conduct vulnerability assessments and draft protocols and plans to help clients be better prepared to manage future crises
- Provide senior clients and colleagues with strategic and tactical recommendations
- Monitoring and analyzing traditional and social media for potential threats or developments relevant to clients and their industries
- Support the development and execution of crisis trainings and drills
- Assist in the development of long-term reputation management or recovery plans and program recommendations
- Develop and manage timelines and weekly actions plans to ensure all deadlines on client programs are met
- Being available during evenings and weekends, depending on client needs
- Anticipate and proactively offer solutions to clients and senior team leadership for reputational issues
- Motivate the team by bringing a positive, solutions-focused attitude to everything you do and providing mentorship and guidance for junior staff
- Help build positive, long-lasting client relationships
- Where necessary, support new business development and growth for issues/crisis engagements
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 6-7 years public relations or communications experience, particularly in issues and crisis communications management; agency experience is preferred
- Proven creative and strategic thinking experience
- Track record in client service to senior level clients
- Experience and knowledge of public relations and corporate communications best practices, including media relations, executive communications, thought leadership, B2B communications, social and traditional media monitoring and reporting, and the changing media landscape
- Working knowledge of social media and how it influences issues management and crisis communications
- Understanding of the constantly evolving nature of threats to the reputation of consumer and corporate brands, including employee and CEO activism, social and political movements, and the impact that changing consumer behaviors and preferences have on brands and companies
- Experience working across disciplines and functions, including account teams, management, creative and legal teams
- Ability to grasp and translate somewhat complex subject matter into relevant messaging and tactics for key audiences
- Basic financial management skills, including reviewing billing and managing budgets
About Weber Shandwick
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world. Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s Agency A-List in 2020 and Best Places to Work in 2019. Weber Shandwick was also honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, and PRovoke’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2017 and 2019. The firm earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. Data-led, with earned ideas at the core, the agency deploys leading and emerging technologies to inform strategy, develop critical insights and heighten impact across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com
Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to start date, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.