Senior Vice President, Corporate Issues
New York, New York, United States
About the Capital Markets Practice
The purpose of capital markets has always been bringing together companies and investors navigating asymmetric information. Since the advent of the digital age, the speed and complexity of information exchanged between principals and agents has increased significantly, heightening the need for a clearly defined capital markets communications strategy.
Weber Shandwick’s Capital Markets Communications team are seasoned advisors with proven track- records working with high-profile public and private organizations, and their top executives, across a range of sectors. We offer the specialty expertise of a boutique consultancy alongside the power and creative minds of a global network. We advise clients on a variety of complex business issues and events including mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, restructurings, C-suite transitions, spin-offs, litigation and regulatory inquiries. As counsellors, we understand the complex communications landscape in the modern financial ecosystem and recognize the importance of a tailored financial media strategy to tell our clients’ stories compellingly.
As practitioners with buy and sell-side backgrounds we take a highly targeted approach when communicating financial news to key internal and external stakeholders where every signal tells a story. This includes a deep understanding of finance, a keen insight into the regulatory environment, an appreciation of the evolving ESG landscape and the know-how to effectively shape perception – including the relevant messages and channels for delivery.
About the Corporate Issues Practice
Many communications professionals spend careers trying to make the front pages or trend on Twitter. Our job is to help shape the narrative before it spins out of control, rein in the story and reposition our clients and their issues, and ensure they are prepared to communicate effectively in any situation.
Weber Shandwick’s Corporate Issues Practice helps leading organizations both manage breaking negative issues and events affecting reputation and develop the internal culture and infrastructure needed to anticipate, prepare and navigate them effectively. From environmental protests, multinational bankruptcies and executive controversies to sweeping product recalls, high-profile litigation and fake news, we live at the front lines of media, culture and conversation.
What We Are Seeking
We are looking for a senior-level practitioner to join our growing Capital Markets team in advising clients on a variety of complex business issues and events including mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, restructurings, C-suite transitions, spin-offs, litigation, ESG, regulatory matters and investor relations functions for a wide range of high-profile clients. The ideal candidate is someone with extensive financial communications and issues management experience who pays meticulous attention to detail and has strong time management skills and the ability to understand and distill complex subject matter quickly.
He/she will play a leading role in day-to-day account activity, capital markets practice growth and marketing, and will have the opportunity to contribute to a broad range of complex business issues and events. He/she should have strong writing skills and thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment. The nature of the work also requires an ability and eagerness to juggle multiple responsibilities, inside and outside traditional work hours. Candidates with an agency or investor relations background with a demonstrated understanding of how strategy and business decisions impact financial performance and value creation are encouraged to apply.
What You Will Be Doing
- Provide strategic communications counsel to management teams facing complex, high-profile corporate events, including mergers and acquisitions, executive leadership changes, and crisis situations, as well as ongoing public and investor relations support.
- Work with clients to develop and enhance comprehensive investor relations and corporate communications programs across stakeholder groups, with a focus on helping companies articulate a clear and compelling value proposition and narrative.
- Develop and review investor-targeted corporate communications materials such as: press releases, earnings and conference scripts, Q&As, presentations as needed.
- Develop and draft crisis plans, media strategies, reactive media statements, talking points, FAQs, memos, crisis simulations and other deliverables as needed.
- Serve as the day-to-day point of contact for clients; oversee various project workstreams, internal workflow and document production to ensure deliverables meet clients’ deadlines.
- Oversee and execute proactive media outreach and reactive media relations strategies as needed.
- Collaborate with client partners as appropriate, such as legal counsel, vendors, etc.
- Train and motivate more-junior team members and help create opportunities for their growth.
- Participate in new business development for the group and collaborate among practice areas at the agency in support of new business pitches.
- Bachelor's degree; CFA and/or MBA preferred.
- 12+ years of agency, strategic consulting, investor relations, sell-side research experience is preferred.
- Strong understanding of financial acumen, including capital markets, accounting and finance, experience with SEC reporting, financial disclosures, quarterly releases, shareholder activism and the regulatory landscape.
- Proficient understanding of corporate communications and issues management best practices.
- Skilled media relations strategist and practitioner with top tier media relations experience.
- Exercises exceptional judgment when working with clients, team members and vendors.
- Communicates clearly, analytically and persuasively both orally and in writing.
- Pays close attention to detail and quality of work product.
- Adept at solving problems and resolving conflicts.
- Capable of mobilizing and motivating teams, anticipating needs and instilling confidence
- Familiar with the latest capital markets trends reaching both institutional and retail investors.
- Experience directly counseling clients/senior ranking executives through a broad range of capital market issues and special situations and crises.
- Experience with reputation management and promoting/protecting brands through integrated communications programs.
- Interest and experience supporting new business efforts
- Experience delivering media and crisis trainings are a plus.
Weber Shandwick is a leading global marketing and communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world.
We push beyond category convention, pairing data-driven insights with creative prowess to deliver game-changing ideas that earn attention and drive business impact. We have a deep bench of talent across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications.
Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s A-List in 2020 and Best Places to Work in 2019. The firm earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.
Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination prior to start date, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.