Account Director, Tech Communications
New York, New York, United States
Account Director, Tech Communications
Weber Shandwick – New York, New York, United States
Do you wake up every morning and devour stories about Artificial Intelligence in the news, on social media, and on emerging platforms? Do you love thinking through all of the fascinating angles as companies learn how to use (and how not to use) one of the most impactful technologies of our time?
Weber Shandwick is growing its technology communications team to include a specialist on Artificial Intelligence. We’re seeking an Account Director with 7-10 years of work experience in b2b technology and/or technology policy – someone who knows where all of the latest conversations are happening in the media, on social media, on emerging platforms – even offline, too! Our candidate will be excited to tell stories for corporate and consumer tech brands, from multinationals to startups – and they’ll counsel clients on how best to get those stories out into the world, whether that be through earned media pitching, a social campaign, an event (taking part in an existing one, or dreaming one up) – no idea is to big or too small. Are you the next member of our growing Tech Practice?
• Thinking: Intellectual curiosity and creativity is a must.
• Storytelling: Understand the elements that make a story exciting, what brands are doing in the press and on social platforms, and what they should do next.
• Communication: Speak, write and edit succinctly and compellingly.
• Management: Meet deadlines, put out fires and multi-task. Work fast, and work well.
• Interpersonal: Play nice, whether it’s in a team, with a team or independently.
• Technical: Know/be adaptable to enterprise software in our and our clients’ workplaces, and know how to access the very latest information being shared in the world – whether that’s in the news, on social, gaming platforms, and beyond.
• Detail-Oriented: Whether it’s a media list or a recap report, attention to detail and a commitment to delivering clear and precise work is essential.
• Spark: Understand what sets you apart.
What you will be doing:
External Relations Counsel
• Craft strategies for major earned media campaigns and product launches
• Brainstorm and pitch compelling ideas to reach media and influencers
• Uncover and share external client discussions and competitor developments
• Understand industry issues that directly and indirectly affect the client
• Compose basic integrated media plans and contribute to plan development processes
• Oversee the development of proposals, customer profiles, newsroom blogs, bylined articles, supporting social content and other press materials
• Proof and edit client related documents as needed
• Manage and build relationships with journalists and key influencers
• Mine the current news cycle for ad hoc opportunities to include clients in conversations
• Work with senior clients to uncover the latest and greatest stories we can tell
• Mentor junior staff
Client & Team Engagement
• Provide counsel to clients on external relations efforts
• Serve as a key participant in client meetings and presentations
• Conduct and manage the flow of research and work materials necessary to analyze client issues
• Manage client and team resources and deliverables around major campaigns and launches
• 5+ years of professional experience in the technology communications, policy, or journalism space – with expertise in writing, plan development, external relations strategy and execution, and communication on new & emerging platforms
• 2+ years management experience leading small groups and projects
• Experience with both large-scale and start-up business environments preferred
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.