Detroit, Michigan, United States
Weber Shandwick / Art Director
At Weber Shandwick, our mission is to “solve.” More than ever, organizations turn to Weber Shandwick to deliver deeper impact. As client business models — and communications methods — adapt to new realities, we’re uniquely suited to bring diverse talents, global insights and pioneering instincts to deliver industry-defining work. We’re going beyond traditional lines to integrate social, digital, advertising, content, PR, corporate reputation and public affairs. We also see diversity and inclusion as more than a priority, but as a competitive advantage to bring diverse ideas and points of view to the table. So, we need different kinds of people with unique special talents to help us deliver on that promise.
Weber Shandwick is a global company with offices in more than 80 countries, so we offer the advantages of a big firm – from leading-edge research, sophisticated technology and the resources to invest in growth. But, at our heart, we still have the spirit of the small company we used to be – entrepreneurial, ambitious, warm and fun; with a splash of Detroit grit and determination.
About the Role
Weber Shandwick Detroit is seeking an Art Director to join our growing creative team. We are looking for someone with the right combination of conceptual approach, self-motivation, and artistic skills necessary to create, sell and execute impactful ideas for our clients.
You will be instrumental in defining the conceptual approach and design direction for a variety of General Motors brands and assignments across a wide range of communication strategies and channels. You need to be obsessive about making things look great. Brand consistency, a passion for type and design, and the ability to visually convey your ideas through beautiful comps and presentations, must be in your DNA.
If you are serious about stepping outside your comfort zone, diversifying your portfolio, and creating impactful buzz worthy ideas that set the internet on fire, then we would love to talk to you.
- Crafting stories and building brands through campaign level thinking and execution
- Ongoing development of new ideas, creative concepts and design solutions across print, digital, social and video disciplines
- Develop original concepts and executions with the intention of sparking conversation and engagement in the digital and social media space. These ideas can be published across various brand channels, published through influencer channels, or may transcend social media, digital and traditional advertising
- Creation of production-ready designs and layouts, establish the look/tone/feel for campaigns and executions, and convey ideas through well-designed presentations
- Ensure all visual design adheres to existing brand guidelines
- Work with copywriters, producers and other team members to flesh out the creative development of ideas and tactical executions
- Translate video story ideas into visual approaches through storyboards, framing, location scouting, set design and wardrobe recommendations, etc.
- In all social media-specific concepts, be sure to understand various execution formats and incorporate creative/design/layout best practices for various social media networks including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, TikTok, LinkedIn and YouTube
- 3+ years of art direction and/or design experience in a related agency or department (advertising, PR, digital and/or social media)
- Art education in advertising design and conceptual thinking is preferred
- Ability to work quickly, efficiently, and accurately within all required aspects of the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) as well as presentation tools such as PowerPoint and Google Slides. Knowledge of AfterEffects, Sketch and HTML is a plus
- Must be self-motivated, hard-working, well-organized, and resilient to ever-changing timelines, requests, and deliverables
- Ongoing drive to understand emerging techniques, trends and philosophies in design, technology, interaction, social media and storytelling through content
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in the automotive industry is preferred (not mandatory)
- Must have a portfolio (share anything that conveys the way you think or approach assignments, even if it was never produced; we like chicken scratches)
- Bonus Skills: illustration, animation, photography, retouching, filmmaking, videography, UX/UI
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.