Associate Creative Director, Design Lead
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Associate Creative Director, Design Lead
Weber Shandwick — Detroit, Michigan
At Weber Shandwick, our mission is to “solve.” More than ever, organizations turn to Weber Shandwick to deliver deeper impact. As client business models — and communications methods — adapt to new realities, we’re uniquely suited to bring diverse talents, global insights and pioneering instincts to deliver industry-defining work. We’re going beyond traditional lines to integrate social, digital, advertising, content, PR, corporate reputation and public affairs. We also see diversity and inclusion as more than a priority, but as a competitive advantage to bring diverse ideas and points of view to the table. So, we need different kinds of people with unique special talents to help us deliver on that promise.
Weber Shandwick is a global company with offices in more than 80 countries, so we offer the advantages of a big firm – from leading-edge research, sophisticated technology and the resources to invest in growth. But, at our heart, we still have the spirit of the small company we used to be – entrepreneurial, ambitious, warm and fun; with a splash of Detroit grit and determination.
About the Role
Weber Shandwick is looking for an Associate Creative (Design) Director to lead design efforts for our growing creative team and various accounts. This role is new to our office and creative team, so it will require you to have an entrepreneurial mindset to fully define and implement the role of this position and the design team. Although our office is based in Detroit, we’re looking for the right candidate, so we’re open to remote.
The candidate will need to be:
- Responsible for elevating both the level of craft and the quality of our design solutions across our clients and functions
- A world-class designer and visual storyteller with impeccable craft, comfortably and consistently superb in execution across a range of visual styles and mediums. Able to define strategic and creative points of view on Brand Character, Brand Image, and Design Themes
- Not just a stellar designer but enjoy nurturing those with less experience, helping to mentor other designers within the team to foster their talents, create world class creative solutions and achieve their career goals
- A collaborator. You will collaborate closely with various internal and external teams to create new brands, define style guidelines, prep artwork for production and craft beautiful presentations
- Very (very) hands-on, always perfecting the tiniest details. You lead by example and inspire by your passion
- Execute and manage original, persuasive, conceptual and visually compelling design work in line with agency and brand standards, including (but not limited to): iconography, logos, guidelines, typography, illustration, printed materials, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Establish a design practice within our creative team, providing oversight to our Designers, with the goal of developing a culture of collaboration, experimentation and knowledge sharing
- Fluently speak about design concepts with clients, as well as internal teams of creatives, producers and animators, to enable effective collaboration, feedback and direction
- Maintain and promote an internal awareness of industry design trends and standards
- Cultivate a sense of ownership that elevates the standards and quality of all work achieved by the designers
- Be a natural teacher – encourage designers to approach problem solving differently, always with the goal of learning and growing
- From concept to execution, bring an enthusiasm for solving design and marketing challenges throughout the life of a project, and amid stakeholder revisions
- Have mastery of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Powerpoint, as well as emerging interactive design trends. Knowledge of AfterEffects and Sketch is a plus
- Build ongoing relationships with partner agency design teams, and other design teams within the Weber Shandwick network
- Display a cohesive understanding of digital and interactive design principals; we do not produce many websites or mobile apps, but need someone who can speak to and direct those UX/UI needs when necessary
- Has a proven track record in digital, print and campaign design
- Award-winning is a plus
- At least 5 years of experience in the creative, advertising, marketing or PR industries; or leading a design team
- A solid understanding of the marketing industry at large; an ability and a desire to adapt to the changing landscape of technology
- Experience working in Automotive is not mandatory, but definitely a plus
- Proven leadership skills managing multiple projects/tasks/teams of varying complexities, meeting deadlines, and working well under pressure
- Resilience, a cheerful and positive attitude, and respect for others
- Exceptional internal and external communication skills, someone who can present and defend their work clearly and confidently
- Experience with social media platforms and a working knowledge of their best practices
- An interest in staying on top of emerging platforms, mobile design and development trends
- A willingness to push creative boundaries
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world. Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s Agency A-List in 2020 and Best Places to Work in 2019. Weber Shandwick was also honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, and PRovoke’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2017 and 2019. The firm earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. Data-led, with earned ideas at the core, the agency deploys leading and emerging technologies to inform strategy, develop critical insights and heighten impact across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.