Associate, Media Relations
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
ASSOCIATE, INTEGRATED MEDIA
Weber Shandwick's Vancouver office is seeking an Associate to join its Integrated Media team. We are looking for a collaborative, self-starter with the ability to create storytelling narratives with proven experience garnering earned attention.
The ideal candidate is a team player with a strong understanding of how the marketing communications function impacts a client’s business and how the client’s business makes news.
This person has a strategic thinking mindset with creative problem solving abilities, refined project and team management skills and an understanding of the varied aspects of integrated marketing, including research, strategic planning and implementation. Familiarity with new communications tools, especially in the digital and social media realm, is essential.
- Develop media relations action plans, including goals and objectives, media targets, story angles and outreach approaches, in collaboration with and support from senior media relations experts
- Monitor media outlets, understand industry issues that directly and indirectly affect the client, and analyze and distill meaningful insights from media coverage
- Generate story ideas and topic angles, draft media materials, and pitch media to land earned coverage
- Support senior teams in developing strategic messaging for clients and creation of media plans and proposals that take an integrated approach to driving awareness with target audiences
- Leverage influencers (e.g. advocates, bloggers/vloggers and other relatable voices) to impact clients, their brands and marketing goals
- Provide thoughtful recommendations for content creation and distribution across multiple channels to support paid, owned and earned channels
- Participate in office-wide initiatives, seminars and meetings to further professional learning and development
- Actively participate in agency development and assist with new business
- Qualified candidates will have 2+ years of previous experience, a BA or BS degree in communications or a related discipline, and offer an integrated skillset that combines media relations, influencer partnerships and digital expertise
- Strong media relations skills and relationships with national and regional contacts across platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with clients and internal team members across multiple levels and markets
- Ability to contribute to research, strategic planning, development and execution of integrated marketing and social media programs
- Strong understanding of overall social media landscape
- Exceptional judgment and ability to think critically when working with team members, clients and partners
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Independent, motivated and driven to meet key deadlines
- Strong time management skills with the demonstrated ability to prioritize across complex projects
ABOUT WEBER SHANDWICK
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications and engagement firm in 78 cities with a network extending to 129 cities around the world. The firm’s diverse team of strategists, analysts, producers, designers, developers and campaign activators has won the most prestigious awards in the world for innovative, creative approaches and impactful work. Weber Shandwick was the only public relations agency included on the Advertising Age Agency A-list in 2014 and 2015 and the only PR firm designated an A-List Agency Standout in 2017 and 2018. Weber Shandwick was honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016 and 2017, The Holmes Report’s Global Agency of the Year in 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2017, and The Holmes Report’s Global Digital Agency of the Year in 2016. The firm deploys deep expertise across sectors and specialty areas, including consumer marketing, corporate reputation, healthcare, technology, public affairs, financial services, employee engagement, social impact, financial communications and crisis management, using proprietary social, digital and analytics methodologies. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG).
For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.ca.
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.