Senior Manager/Account Director, Media Relations
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
The Integrated Media practice at Weber Shandwick Minneapolis is seeking a Sr. Manager or Account Director of media relations. We are looking for applicants with a foundational understanding of how earned media intersects with paid, owned and influencer disciplines, as they will shape media relations strategies within the context of integrated communications campaigns. This candidate will bring established relationships with business and consumer media both regionally and nationally, and demonstrate an understanding of how to craft storylines and angles that resonate with modern journalists. We value experience working on cross-functional teams either in an agency or corporate setting, as well as previous experience working in journalism.
This candidate should be comfortable wearing many hats within media relations – from leading the development of earned strategy, to overseeing pitch teams, to drafting key messaging and coaching client spokespeople, to translating client business goals into storytelling that yields coverage results. It will be important to have an inquisitive approach to client assignments and a proven ability to uncover differentiators and perspectives that position our clients as thought leaders.
Candidates are creative and action oriented and will act as an important facilitator for media relations programs in the Minneapolis office and across the national network. This person will be passionate about mentoring and coaching junior and senior colleagues alike to ensure earned best practices carry through in our work and to instill best practices on effectively working with the media.
- Collaborate with senior internal agency staff to develop effective media strategies and ensure client deliverables are being met
- Counsel clients and colleagues on establishing effective relationships with journalists
- Lead or co-lead story mining sessions with subject matter experts and client executives; develop news-making story angles that drive coverage results
- Develop a strong understanding of client business goals, target audiences; develop earned strategies that translate into coverage accordingly
- Effectively manage and oversee pitch teams through program execution; communicate clearly how results meet program goals
- Collaborate with social and digital counterparts internally and on the client side to ensure earned results carry through integrated programming
- Understand news cycles, cultural shifts, industry trends and issues that directly and indirectly affect the client, and analyze and distill meaningful insights from media coverage
- Generate story ideas and topic angles, draft media materials, and pitch media to land earned coverage
- Develop strategic messaging; support creation of integrated media plans and proposals
- Leverage influencers (e.g. online influencers, celebs, advocates, brand partners, analysts and other relatable voices) to impact clients, their brands and marketing goals
- Actively and consistently coach junior counterparts to instill media relations best practices
- Participate in office-wide initiatives, seminars and meetings to further professional learning and development
- Actively participate in agency development and assist with new business
- Four-year degree or equivalent work experience in communications, journalism, international relations, or a similar field required
- About 7-12 years of communications experience
- Experience working in multiple industries; experience in financial services/insurance, CPG, healthcare or consumer brands preferred
- Demonstrates established relationships with media, such as reporters, editors, producers, podcasters, freelancers and contributors
- Demonstrated success with media strategy, story development, and pitching
- Experience writing PR plans and proposals
- Experience developing and supporting integrated programs, experience in working in an inter-agency team environment a plus
- Solid writing and editing skills
- Experience or familiarity working with creative teams
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity and comfort working with senior-level clients
About Weber Shandwick
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world. Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s Agency A-List in 2020 and Best Places to Work in 2019. Weber Shandwick was also honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, and PRovoke’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2017 and 2019. The firm earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. Data-led, with earned ideas at the core, the agency deploys leading and emerging technologies to inform strategy, develop critical insights and heighten impact across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@ipgdxtra.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.