Assistant Managing Editor
Detroit, Michigan, United States
The Detroit office of Weber Shandwick is seeking a Managing Editor to join our editorial team, supporting our General Motors client. We are looking for someone with the right combination of storytelling/writing skills, editorial competence and self-motivation to assist our clients.
Candidate is instrumental in defining the internal and external stories and tone of voice for client projects and assignments across a variety of communication strategies and channels. You need to be obsessive about honing your craft and polishing your words. You also must be comfortable editing at any point in the writing process – developmental, structrual and line editing, and proofreading. Understanding brand tone, a passion for problem solving, and the ability to spin stories must be in your DNA.
Mastery of AP and GM style are a must for this position (GM Style Guide will be provided); daily copyediting is mandatory for this position. Additionally, this candidate must work well under pressure, and be collabroative, a self starter and resiliant to ever-changing deadlines.
Note: Candidate will sit on-site at Renaissance Center, GM Global Headquarters.
- Help craft internal and external stories for all GM brands. Automotive editorial product writing experience is key.
- Edit press releases and GM.com blog content, often with quick turn-around. Edit for alignment to overarching brand messages, flow, accuracy, AP and GM Style. Package release/story content, assets, spec sheets and art files for GM Media Online web team to post and make sure release content and assets together tell a compelling, cohesive story. Review live content to ensure accuracy.
- Work with account leads, art directors, designers, strategists, producers and other team members to flesh out the creative development of ideas and tactical executions.
- Edit GM Daily News Digest, a newsletter that goes to the top 400 executives, including the GM Board, by 9 a.m. every morning.
- Note – Every morning, candidate will sift through dozens of news clips culled by GM’s media monitoring agency and determine which stories about GM, its brands and competitors that executives should be reading. This requires excellent news judgment and knowledge of the automotive media landscape, automotive product, politics and public policy affecting GM. Must read exceptionally fast, know business sensitivities on any given day, as well as spot incorrect news and product reviews.
- Edit all GM intranet stories and major for daily publication, proof high-profile emails. Attend planning meetings. Rewrite copy as needed.
- Maintain GM Style Guide and keep up with AP Style changes.
- Edit decks, stories, bios, charts, financial statements, tweets – anything the client needs edited.
- Requires grace and finesse in collaborating with brands.
- Have the ability to navigate a complex organization and work well across all functions of the business.
- Discretion is mandatory; candidate has access to, edits highly confidential material.
- Attend internal comms and weekly brand planning meetings.
- Must learn/know brand language for all brands and for GM Corporate.
- Remain current on industry and cultural trends and technology, and look for opportunities to incorporate them into your creative concepts.
- Present ideas and production-ready executions to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure all creative adheres to existing brand guidelines.
- 5-7 years of writing/editing experience in an agency or related field (public relations, internal communications, social media, etc.)
- Journalism experience preferred.
- Must be self-motivated, hard-working, well organized, and resilient to ever-changing timelines, requests, and deliverables
- Experience working in the automotive industry is preferred (not mandatory).
- Must have a portfolio (share anything that conveys the way you think or approach assignments, even if it was never produced; we like chicken scratches).
- Bonus Skills: blogging, journalism, social community management, filmmaking, videography, editorial, art direction, design, illustration, photography
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world. Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s Best Places to Work in 2019 and was the only PR firm designated an Ad Age A-List Agency Standout in 2017 and 2018. Weber Shandwick was also honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, and earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. Data-led, with earned ideas at the core, the agency deploys leading and emerging technologies to inform strategy, develop critical insights and heighten impact across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@cmgrp.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.