Account Supervisor, Public Affairs
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
JOB TITLE: MANAGER/SENIOR MANAGER – PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Powell Tate – the specialty public affairs unit of Weber Shandwick, a leading global communications network – is currently seeking a manager to join its Public Affairs team, to play a central role with new and longstanding clients.
We seek candidates with a strong public affairs and issues management experience in the Washington, D.C. market and/or state government, as well as experience developing and managing integrated media strategy across a diverse array of issues. The ideal candidate has political campaign, legislative, and/or public affairs agency experience.
Candidates must be driven, poised and team-oriented, with experience supporting communications around complex issues. S/he will have a thorough understanding of the U.S. political landscape at the federal and state levels, as well as the intersection of earned, paid and owned media. S/he will be fluent in digital strategy and social media. A demonstrated ability to learn issues quickly and communicate effectively with internal and external audiences is required.
- Develop and lead integrated public affairs and issues management campaigns on behalf of corporate, coalition and trade association clients, across defense and other highly regulated industries
- Serve as a day-to-day contact for clients and provide ongoing counsel and strategic insights
- Lead account teams and be responsible for direct reports
- Assess and report news coverage, understand the media landscape and identify opportunities and potential risks to brand reputation
- Proactively handle client problems and issues quickly and adeptly
- Create opportunities for team members to learn and grow – promoting and retaining a collaborative, inclusive work environment conducive to success
- Develop and maintain deep fluency and expertise in relevant external trends impacting the business and its peers
- Cultivate relationships with reporters, influencers and other media stakeholders
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree
- 4-8 years related professional experience
- Integrated communications and political or legislative experience, including advocacy and crisis
- Experience managing and supporting significant client programs, cross-functional teams and integrated campaigns
- Deep knowledge in national, business, and political media, as well as digital strategy and social media
- Can turn ideas into workable plans, while anticipating client and team needs
- Strong organization, problem-solving and interpersonal skills, along with a keen attention to detail
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Resilient mindset and, deep curiosity
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues at all levels
- Experience using digital communications and social media platforms for clients or organization
Powell Tate is the globally-recognized, premiere, DC-based public affairs unit of the Weber Shandwick network. Built for change, we are nimble, data-driven and led by people who understand fast-changing politics, complex policy debates, emerging cultural trends, the role of third party stakeholders and digital transformation. We know the motivations that spark movements. The issues that matter most – privacy, environment, sustainability, automation, food safety and healthcare. In short: What to embrace. What to avoid. What you didn’t see coming. We solve complex business, policy and social issues. We mitigate risk and build reputation. We shape opinions and build support for issues that matter.
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world. Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s Agency A-List in 2020 and Best Places to Work in 2019. Weber Shandwick was also honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, and PRovoke’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2017 and 2019. The firm earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. Data-led, with earned ideas at the core, the agency deploys leading and emerging technologies to inform strategy, develop critical insights and heighten impact across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@cmgrp.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.