Vice President, CX, Public Affairs
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
VP, PUBLIC AFFAIRS (CLIENT EXPERIENCE)
Powell Tate – the specialty public affairs unit of Weber Shandwick, a leading global communications network – is currently seeking a Vice President to join its Public Affairs team, to play a central role with new and longstanding clients.
We seek candidates with a strong public affairs background in the Washington, D.C. market or a major state capital; a proven track record of leading external communications and issues management campaigns; and experience working directly with senior-level clients to shape strategies and messaging. The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of the U.S. political landscape at the federal, state and local levels, as well as the intersection of earned, paid and owned media.
Candidates must be driven, poised and team-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to learn issues quickly and communicate effectively with internal and external audiences. S/he must possess exceptional judgment when working with team members, client contacts and vendors, including legal and government relations partners, and experience managing teams and supervising individuals.
- Design and implement public affairs, advocacy and issues management campaigns on behalf of corporate, coalition and trade association clients, including in highly-regulated industries
- Serve as a primary client contact responsible for strategic counsel, management of account deliverables and deadlines
- Develop, oversee and execute corporate reputation and integrated marketing and communications programs and campaigns, including but not limited to: data and analytics, strategic planning, formative research, message testing, creative concepting and production, earned, paid and owned media
- Manage cross-functional teams, providing leadership, direction and guidance to ensure we deliver our best work and exceed client expectations
- Create opportunities for team members to learn and grow – promoting and retaining a collaborative, inclusive work environment conducive to success
- Provide oversight of budget, multi-agency and vendor contracting, timelines and reporting
- Serve as a key senior member of the public affairs team, contributing to ongoing business development, management and coaching of junior team members and inspiring emerging leaders in our agency
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years related professional experience
Additional Qualifications – Success Factors
- Integrated communications and political or legislative experience, including advocacy and crisis
- Experience managing significant client programs, cross-functional teams and integrated campaigns
- Significant media relations experience and contacts
- Fluent in national, business, and political media, as well as digital strategy and social media
- Can turn ideas into workable plans, while anticipating client and team needs
- Ability to work in, motivate, and mobilize fast-paced, highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary teams
- Proactive self-starter and problem solver with meticulous attention to detail
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Resilient mindset, deep curiosity and a healthy sense of humor
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite
Powell Tate is the globally-recognized, premiere, DC-based public affairs unit of the Weber Shandwick network. Built for change, we are nimble, data-driven and led by people who understand fast-changing politics, complex policy debates, emerging cultural trends, the role of third party stakeholders and digital transformation. We know the motivations that spark movements. The issues that matter most – privacy, environment, sustainability, automation, food safety and healthcare. In short: What to embrace. What to avoid. What you didn’t see coming. We solve complex business, policy and social issues. We mitigate risk and build reputation. We shape opinions and build support for issues that matter.
Weber Shandwick is a leading global communications network that delivers next-generation solutions to brands, businesses and organizations in major markets around the world. Led by world-class strategic and creative thinkers and activators, we have won some of the most prestigious awards in the industry. Weber Shandwick was named to Ad Age’s Agency A-List in 2020 and Best Places to Work in 2019. Weber Shandwick was also honored as PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, and PRovoke’s Global Agency of the Year in 2015, 2017 and 2019. The firm earned 25 Lions at the 2019 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. Data-led, with earned ideas at the core, the agency deploys leading and emerging technologies to inform strategy, develop critical insights and heighten impact across sectors and specialty areas, including brand and B2B marketing, healthcare marketing, change management, employee engagement, corporate reputation, crisis management, data and analytics, technology, public affairs, social impact and financial communications. Weber Shandwick is part of the Interpublic Group (NYSE: IPG). For more information, visit http://www.webershandwick.com
Weber Shandwick is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Weber Shandwick recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or citizenship status.
We make our careers website accessible to any and all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact us at JobAppAccommodation@cmgrp.com. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require special assistance accessing our employment website. Due to volume, messages sent to this email address that are not related to an accommodation cannot be answered.